Using a computer connected to a telecommunications network, like the Internet, to do research at a distance. Harris has identified six purposes for students to use the Internet in their research activities.
- To practice information seeking skills
- To become informed about a topic of inquiry and/or answer a question
- To review multiple perspectives on an issue
- To generate data needed to explore a topic
- To solve authentic problems
- To publish synthesized and/or critiqued information overviews for other students to use